The French National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food, and the Environment (INRAE) is a public research establishment. It is a community of 12,000 people with more than 200 research units and 42 experimental units located throughout France. The institute is among the world leaders in agricultural and food sciences, in plant and animal sciences, and is 11th in the world in ecology and environment. INRAE’s main goal is to be a key player in the transitions necessary to address major global challenges. In the face of the increase in population, climate change, scarcity of resources and decline in biodiversity, the institute develops solutions for multiperformance agriculture, high quality food and sustainable management of resources and ecosystems.
Work environment, missions and activities
We are seeking a highly motivated PhD candidate within the framework of the research project "Information extraction from textual data for epidemiosurveillance for plant health”. The central aim of the research project is to develop corpus- and ontology-based NLP methods to acquire knowledge on plant health for epidemiosurveillance. The thesis is part of the ANR project BEYOND Building epidemiological surveillance and prophylaxis with observations both near and distant. 
The studentship will be affiliated to the laboratory MaIAGE  at INRAE research center in Jouy-en-Josas University of Paris-Saclay and to the graduate school Computer Science and MISCA group at TETIS .
For more information, please see the full announcement here:: https://www.adum.fr/as/ed/voirproposition.pl?site=PSaclay&matricule_prop=36867
PhD position description
The candidate will be offered a fully funded PhD position (3 years).
- MSc or equivalent in Computer Science
- High level of academic English or French, both written and spoken;
- Knowledge of Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing or commitment to acquire it;
- Good programming skills in Python or Java (and preferably experience with deep learning tools)
- Capacity to work as part of a team in a multidisciplinary framework.
- Experiences of applied research to Life Science is an asset.
We offer a motivating research environment with many opportunities for in-house, national and international collaborations and with access to state-of-the-art research equipment.
Training and skills
INRAE's life quality
By joining our teams, you benefit from (depending on the type of contract and its duration):
- up to 30 days of annual leave + 15 days "Reduction of Working Time" (for a full time);
- parenting support: CESU childcare, leisure services;
- skills development systems: training, career advise;
- social support: advice and listening, social assistance and loans;
- holiday and leisure services: holiday vouchers, accommodation at preferential rates;
- sports and cultural activities;
- collective catering.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application file to Claire Nédellec <firstname.lastname@example.org> and to Mathieu Roche <email@example.com>.
It should comprise:
- a CV (max 5 pages) with transcripts (Master), diplomas, internships
- a cover letter
- the names and contact of two referees for reference letters